Communities of Transformation and their Work Scaling STEM Reform
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Section 1: Background and Overview of Project
- Section 2: Framing: Social Network and Communities of Practice
- Section 3: Overview of Methods
- Section 4: What are these Entities? Communities of Transformation
- Section 5: Outcomes and Benefits from Participation
- Section 6: Design for Engagement & Outcomes
- Section 7: Formation and Lifecycle of Communities of Transformation
- Section 8: Common Challenges in Evolution
- Section 9: Expansion Strategies: More on the Maturing Phase
- Section 10: Sustainability Model: Understanding the Stewardship Phase
- Section 11: Future Considerations for STEM Reform Communities of Transformation
- Section 12: Areas for Further Research
- Section 13: Conclusions
Gehrke, S. (July, 2016). Creating Communities of Transformation in STEM Education:Lessons from Research. Paper presented at the SENCER Summer Institute, Chicago, IL.
Kezar, A., Gerhke, S., & Bernstein, S. (April, 2015). Guiding philosophy as the key to communities of transformation for STEM reform. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
*Gerhke, S. & Kezar, A. (April, 2015). Designing outcomes for STEM reform networks. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
Kezar, A. & Gerhke, S. (Nov, 2014). Scaling up undergraduate STEM reform: Sustainability of distance communities of practice. Paper presented at the Association for the Study of Higher Education, Washington, DC.
Kezar, A. (June, 2015). Communities of transformation: Outcomes and design. BIOquest summer Institute.
*Kezar, A. (February, 2015). STEM reform and the findings from national studies. Paper presented at AAAS in San Jose, CA.
Kezar, A. (Oct, 2014). Transforming institutions: 21st Century Undergraduate STEM Education. Plenary talk at Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN.
Kezar, A. Gehrke, S., & Bernstein, S. (2017). Designing for success in STEM communities of practice: Philosophy and personal interactions. Review of higher education, 40(2), 217-244.
Gehrke, S. & Kezar, A. (2016). The benefits of STEM reform through communities of transformation. Change, 48(1), 30-38.
Kezar, A. & Gehrke, S. (in press). Lasting STEM reform: Sustaining non-organizationally located communities of practice focused on STEM reform. Journal of higher education.
Bernstein, S. & Kezar, A. (in review). Identifying and Overcoming Challenges in STEM Reform: A Study of Four Faculty STEM Reform Communities.
Gehrke, S. & Kezar, A. (2017). The roles of STEM faculty communities of practice in institutional and departmental reform in higher education. AERA Journal.
Gehrke, S. & Kezar, A. (in review). Perceived individual benefits related to STEM Reform associated with engagement in and design of undergraduate faculty communities of practice.
Kezar, A. & Gehrke, S. (in review). Communities of transformation: Creating changes to deeply entrenched issues.
Kezar, A. & Gehrke, S. (in review). Strategies for achieving scale within communities of practice aimed at pedagogical reform in higher education.
Lester, J., Kezar, A. & Bernstein, S. (in review). Leadership within communities of practice: Strategies for distributing leadership and challenges.